The Prevention and Protection Service (SPP) of the LNGS supports the LNGS Director (employer) in the performance of legal obligations related to the Italian Decree 81/08 and s.a.a. related to the safeguard of Laboratories personnel.
The Prevention and Protection Service of the LNGS mainly deals with the following activities:
- identification of risk factors, risk assessment, development and optimization of risk analysis and definition of preventive and protective measures for the health and safety of the workplace, in accordance with regulations and on the basis of specific knowledge of the laboratories;
- preparation of safety procedures for the various activities in all the facilities of the laboratories and of the related training programmes;
- access control and authorization (both staff - Users' Office - and vehicles - logistics management);
- coordination and training of those involved in fire prevention and of GLIMOS (Group Leader in Matter of Safety) of Experiments;
- collaboration with the doctor in health and medical surveillance, taking care, in particular, of the infirmary.
Moreover, the SPP supports the Director of LNGS ("Manager of the plant", according to the Italian Decree 105/15 and s.a.a.) in the control of major accident hazards such as:
- information and training of employees and users of LNGS with the organization, teaching and tutoring of specific periodic courses;
- the preparation, actuation, implementation, updating and distribution of the Safety Management System (SMS) and its procedures;
- the preparation and updating of the Internal Emergency Plan (PEI) and participation in the definition of the External Emergency Plan (PEE) by the Prefect.
Within the Service, there is the Radioisotopes' Bank Department that, in collaboration with the Qualified Expert, deals with:
- the management of the bank-deposit of radioactive sources in possession of LNGS, the verification of the use in safety of radiogenic machines and the distribution and collection of sources to authorized LNGS personnel;
- the transport of sources and the disposal of exhausted or no longer used sources.
All forms and further information are available on the SPP website at the following link:
JLIB_HTML_CLOAKING - Head of Service
JLIB_HTML_CLOAKING - Head of Radioisotopes' Bank Department/SPP/Availabitlity Coordinator
JLIB_HTML_CLOAKING - Occupational Health/Infirmary